November 7, 2008

Beyonce to Play Wonder Woman?



 According to People Magazine, Beyonce thinks she would be a "bold choice" to play Wonder Woman, and she's apparently already met with Warner Bros. movie reps to talk about taking on the role.  Obvious reasons aside, Beyonce isn't the worst actress in the world, but she's not the greatest at it either, even for a drama-light, superhero role.  So if I had a vote, then I vote NO:

Already a superstar, Beyoncé now has her eyes set on becoming a superhero.

"What would be better than Wonder Woman?" she tells the Los Angeles Times. "It would be great. And it would be a very bold choice. A black Wonder Woman would be a powerful thing. It's time for that, right?"  The singer-actress, 27, has met with representatives at DC Comics and Warner Bros. to discuss donning the red, white and blue bathing suit on screen, she says. 

"After doing these roles that were so emotional I was thinking to myself, 'OK, I need to be a superhero,'" Beyoncé tells the Times. "Although, when you think about the psychology of the heroes in the films these days, they are still a lot of work, of course, and emotional. But there's also an action element that I would enjoy."

Her interest in the role was strengthened earlier this year when she went to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and saw on display Lynda Carter's iconic costume. "I would definitely have to keep it right for that costume," she says. "But I love Wonder Woman and it'd be a dream come true to be that character. It sure would be handy to have that lasso."

4 comments:

swb said...

Let's give her a shot. It kind of reminds me of Halle Berry playing Catwoman - not to say that Beyonce' is in the same acting league as Berry.

Chanel said...

swb, you bring an excellent example, if you'll remember, Catwoman was a huge box office flop. Now I'm not saying it was all Halle's fault, because it could have been the movie plot or storyline or any number of things that made that movie tank.

It seems a bit of a stretch for me to see Beyonce in the role of Wonder Woman, but hey, the landscape of America is changing and perceptions are shifting. I mean, America just elected a Black President! So will it be potential marketing genius to cast her? No doubt! Beyonce will def sell tickets, to this thing, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

nitabita said...

I could see it working. She certainly has a Wonder Woman body (my goodness!) and it's not like Lynda Carter was known for bringing great depth to the character.

I think she could work it, not to mention every man in America will flood theaters to get a glimpse of a bootyliscious woman in boots and a leotard, riding in an invisible jet.

Can I just say I think you're jealous? LOL!

LoveWW said...

Oh no puh-leeze! I don't hate Beyonce but I don't love her for the role of Wonder Woman. I hope they decide to use a fresh faced ACTRESS for WW. There are so many beautiful women in the world why Beyonce? I definitely won't go see the movie if she is chosen.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails