October 21, 2007

Does Longer Hair=Having To Pay More For Services?

Imagine this scenario. Your hair is dirty. You're not feeling doing it yourself, and you have a couple hours of free time so you decide to go and get your hair washed on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. You go to your regular "in-between" spot, but you try a different location (your "in-between" spot=not your regular stylist, but the spot you frequent "in-between" for quick in-and-out hair maintenance). You get there and get straight in the shampoo chair. You're styled just as you instructed and you're done! Then you go to pay for your hair services only to find out that you were charged a PREMIUM because you had longer hair. Yes, you were charged extra, double, maybe even TRIPLE the published price because of your hair length.

Can you imagine that? Well I can, because this exact same scenario played out on me over the weekend. I went in to get my hair washed at my regular "in-between" spot like I normally do, although at a different location, and was shocked and surprised (shocked I tell you!) upon completion of my services to be charged DOUBLE what I had been paying because I had longer hair. WTH IS THAT??? That had NEVER happened to me before, EVER. Has this been a policy that I've just been oblivious to? And if so, does the opposite apply if someone has shorter hair? For instance, do you pay less if you're sporting a cute short cut? I have to be honest, when I got my bill and saw "longer hair - add $$" on my receipt in plain black and white, I couldn't help but feel a little violated as I reluctantly paid the inflated balance. How is this fair??? Am I wrong for being offended by this "rule" because it felt borderline discriminatory IMO. Doggonit, I need some answers!

Now I do realize that some people have gangloads of thick, long, hair which would take extra effort to deal with. I understand that. But my hair is, in my own estimation, just slightly longer than normal, nothing that is so unbelieveably hard to work with to constitute paying DOUBLE or TRIPLE the published rate. I don't know, maybe I just need to be better informed on the subject, so if you do hair, know someone who does hair, or are just privy to this "long hair" rule, I'd love to hear from you on this subject.

**UPDATE** I've since been informed, by the same spot that I still think overcharged me, that "short hair" is defined from the crown of the head to the chin. And "long hair" is ANY LENGTH of hair past the chin. I'm still not buying it.

11 comments:

  1. This has never happened to me but I wish someone would try to play the "pay extra for long hair" card with me. I would have raised everlasting hell up in that spot. Unless they had a sign clearly posted that said "We charge extra for longer hair" then there is no way they would have escaped my verbal wrath. I can't stand when businesses try to pull a fast one on people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. butta, how right you are... I think the absurdity of it all must have seriously threw off my entire equilibrium, and since it was so unexpected, I must have been shocked out of my mind and traumatized beyond belief as it was happening.

    But trust. It's not happening again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has happened to me. A place I used to go to religiously would charge an extra $10 for a regular wash and blow out (which would cost $40 to begin with, so 25% more). It used to piss me off, but they would tell you when you made your appointment so it wasn't like you found out after they did your hair. Now double or triple the normal price is just crazy. As a general rule I don't think its fair to be charged more money unless your hair is literally to your butt, I understand that would take the stylist longer to do your hair. But I have heard worst. My boyfriend has to pay extra to make an appointment with his barber, versus paying regular price as a walk in and waiting your turn to get cut. Now that's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man oh man, Chanel, I hate that you had to come out of pocket for double the rate. I really think that you should write a letter to the salon owner and express your displeasure. You'd be surprised how a well-written letter--including thinly veiled threats to put them and their shady business practices on Front Street--will work. They need to bend over backwards for you before they lose a customer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. butta-
    I'm definitely feeling writing a letter. Because why is there such a disparity in price rates from location to location? To quote Fresh over at C&D, something in the milk ain't clean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. charging double for a simple wash and blow dry is absurd! i know that some salons charge long hair more for dye jobs, but that kinda makes sense as they use more products and dying is a more detailed procedure, but washing?? come on.. and there isnt much more ffort put in blow drying long hair and short hair, as styling short hair can be trickier because the cut isnt usually as straight as the long hair..

    ReplyDelete
  7. And get this alis, I didn't even have a blowdry, I had a wash and roller set... on my OWN ROLLERS! I didn't even sit under the dryer, because I NEVER DO! I always leave right after, go home and sit under the dryer at my own pace (I really don't enjoy the dryer).

    Great. I'm feeling more and more taken advantage of with each comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i thought long hair was down your back... right beneath your chin? i've heard of places charging more because of length, but usually for exceptional length.. not just below the chin. sorry this happened to you. salons are the one place, they 'look' and 'judge' to determine a price... trying to make a buck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got to go to a new place, for a start. I've seen places with different prices for long hair but it's always listed. I know when I was straightening my hair, the charges definitely depended on how much hair you had. But no one should ever be surprised by the bill like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Their definition of long hair is ridiculous. Since when is long "past the chin"?? This has happened to me too and I was incredibly angry, because I think ANY place should give the customer the basic courtesy of informing them of the extra charge prior to their service. The nerve that some of these places have amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have called salons to ask about price and have been told that I should come in as they needed to see the length of my hair. Currently, I go of a walk in salon where you don't feel hassled about price. You get my hairstyle, you pay what I pay. I like that a lot.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails