June 6, 2007

Natural Highligting Tips For Summer Streaked Hair


I sometimes get an itch during the summer months to do something different with my hair. But I've had to learn (the hard way) not to try to things on my own, specifically hair color. Believe me, I have hair horror stories that I won't go into right now. But I am proud to say that my hair has come full circle, and it's in rather healthy shape now... and I'd like to keep it that way. So if you're like me, looking to maybe try something new for the summer without the threat of putting the harsh chemicals in your hair that most hair dyes and bleaches use, find some natural hair lightening alternatives to try out below.

Highlights - Olive Oil
Not only is olive oil a great hair conditioner, but it's also a great hair lightener. Just comb it through and let the sun do the rest of the work for you. It may take a few times before it takes and a few washes to get it all out afterwards, but your hair will be nicely moisturized and beautifully sun-kissed!

Highlights - Lighten With Lemons
Lemon juice + the sun = highlights! This is great for people who are already blonde and just wanna lighten up. If your hair is very dark, like dark brown or black, careful, the lemon juice mixture can give you a reddish hue, so I would do a strand test first. Just add 1/4 cup of lemon juice to 3/4 cup of water, put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on your hair - but NOT on your scalp. Then let the sun hit it or either zap it with the blow dryer and watch your highlights unfold.

Highlights - Chamomile Tea
Here's a natural way to bring golden highlights to your hair! All you have to do is boil a pot of chamomile tea and let it cool. Rinse your freshly washed and conditioned hair in the brew and relax in the sun. If you want to go lighter, then do it everyday for a week.

Highlights - Spray-In Lighteners
Spray-on products, like Sun-In Spray-In Hair Lightener, is another easy alternative. I've used these before, and they basically use the same lemon juice and water mixture, so use similar caution if you have darker hair. As the name suggests, you spray it on your hair and can either sit out in the sun for it to work its magic, or use the heat of a blow-dryer. The more Sun-In you spray on, the lighter your hair will turn. Or the redder. It all depends on how dark your hair is.
Source

13 comments:

  1. I have used the Sun-In product and it worked out pretty well. I have dark brown hair and was a lil worried to use it in African American hair. I swore my hair was going to fall out, but it didn't. It didn't get blonde, but my hair turned a light brownish color that I really liked. I'm going to the beach this weekend and will use it again on my hair to lighten it up. a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it do all of your hair? I'm trying to figure out how to get only streaks or "highlights" with a spray bottle.... seems like your whole head will be a lighter shade?

    I'm def interested in it though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Sarah-
    These methods would probably cover all your hair, but Sun-In, the same people with the spray-in hair lightener has a gel on the market I think as well, and the gel could be more easily placed where you want it if you don't want an all over lightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been wanting to lighten up myself. Will check out Sun-In and see how it handles black hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done the "lemons" thing and I felt like my hair was sooo brittle afterwards, but I've never heard of using Olive Oil before, I will most def. try that out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUN IN IS NOT GOOD FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN or CHEMICALLY TREATED HAIR! I USED IT...and my hair felt so dry and got brittle...it started breaking and it kept getting lighter...I visited a salon and the hairdresser said she had to put something in my hair that halts chemical processes because SUN IN has some kind of agent that stays in your hair. Unless you stop the process, SUN IN will keep working...that's what the stylist said...and i never used it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. does the lemon thing work dramatic results or is it subtle? i have medium-thin light brown hair and i really want it to be blonde but i cant use sun-in or other products that are not natural so i am interested in trying both lemons and olive oil....also with these methods do they work if you blowdry your hair instead of sitting around in sunlight??

    ReplyDelete
  8. anon-
    I've tried the olive oil and it is VERY, VERY subtle. But the lemons are a bit more potent, not as potent as sun-in, but moreso than the olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what if I tried mixing a little bit of olive oil in with the lemon juice mix to prevent the lemon juice from doing too much damage to my hair? Have you tried this before and what do you think will happen?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried them both together. I've tried them seperately with different results. Lemon juice is much more potent than the olive oil. Olive oil is going to be very mild on your hair. Whatever you try though, I'd do a strand test first without doing your whole head of hair to stay on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used a leave in conditioner and mixed a half a cup conditioner and 1/4 cup lemon to go all over and go out. You can also comb it through since it's thicker for streaks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. my hair is very black naturally and i tried sun-in for the first time. I was worried about it making my hair dry and brittle so what i did was wet my hair, spray it in, dry it, AND THEN wash/deep condition. I haven't really noticed much of a change but my friends say that it looks like my hair has a redder tint in the sun than it did before. I think i'll try the chamomile tea next though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have dark-brown hair, with a few light-brown natural streaks, and I'm going to test this one out.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails