April 9, 2007

My Inspired Michael Kors... Finally.

Just to let ya'll know, I actually completed my Michael Kors dress about a month and a half ago. And I've already debuted it at an event that I attended back in February! I'll take you through my process, because it wasn't without it's challenges...

Ok, Remember? I spotted this dress in my January Elle... and fell for it, HARD.

I already had 5 yards of this lightweight embroidered black fabric above that I didn't know what to do with... that was until I spotted the Michael Kors dress...

My embroidered fabric was VERY lightweight, as in pretty much see-through. So it needed to be lined (lining the bodice front and back above.

And VOILA! My bodice is complete! But hold up... not so fast. It DOESN'T FIT ME. I couldn't even get the bodice back edges together! WTH??? This dress is the exact same size as my L.A.M.B.! Is it because of the addition of the lining? Was I bloated? Or worse, had I gotten fatter? I finally came to the conclusion that it was the addition of the lining (and NO. I'm not in denial... but I have since "upped" my workouts, lol!) so I had to let out the side seams and the front and back darts to adjust the fit.

This is my dress with the skirt added and it was near completion before the placement of the back zipper and the shortening of the hem. Because if you look at the Michael Kors dress, it's an above knee-length dress. My dress was below knee-length at this stage... I also added some black piping to the waistline.

And now... TA-DA! My Michael Kors dress with the vintage "Audrey Hepburn" look is complete! It fits perfectly, and I added POCKETS! And believe me, the dress is even more wonderful with the pockets in. I had fun wearing it out!

11 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love the addition of the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job . you always said you love dresses with pockets .. u go girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOK HOW CUTE!!!!

    Yea, I really like the pockets...

    So, when I'm rich and all, I'm gonna need you to whip some stuff up for me.. Don't worry, you'll be fairly compensated! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chick you have some serious sewing skills, lol. There are many times when I see a designer dress and I think, "If I knew how to sew I could probably make that." You definitely have the skills, and you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanel! I love it! Love how you used 2 patterns. I treat all patterns as slopers and do what I want to do. Fantastic job and it looks adorable on you... very retro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ya'll! So encouraging you all are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extremely cute - looks better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chanel I couldn't tell the difference between the two. You did an excellent job creating the dress. How about this for your clothing line: Chanel's Hip Candy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chanel, I'm jealous of your talent:( Great JOB!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails