November 17, 2006

My Interview with ANTM's Jaeda...

Jaeda was eliminated this week, and I got to interview her this afternoon via telephone. I had fun talking to her! Anyways, check out my interview with her below as she reveals her goofy side, how she really feels about having short hair (surprising), what she thinks of that Spanish male model and whether she prefers Wal-Mart or Target...



Me: Hi Jaeda, How are you?
Jaeda: Good! How are you!
Me: I'm good. First off, congratulations on making it so far in the competition! You made to the Top 6!
Jaeda: Hey, yeah!
Me: Ok, let’s go back a little before we go forward. You’re from Parkersburg, Iowa right? Because when I first read that, I was like, they have Black people there?
Jaeda: Yeah (laughs) there's not too many, I was actually the first African American to graduate from my High School.
Me: Oh wow. So how were you chosen for Top Model? Did you just apply and from there you were chosen or were you “discovered” like while you were out at the ‘Dairy Queen’ or something?
Jaeda: Actually I went to an open call in Minneapolis, and tried out for the open call, I did my camera interview and 3 months later, I got a call telling me I made it to the Top 30.
Me: Oh, ok, that's excting! You know, I’ve been playing the clip of you imitating Tyra during eliminations, and you’re pretty funny doing her.

Jaeda: (laughs) Yeah, it's kinda funny, because the show didn't really portray me as this funny, goofy person, and I really was! I love just having fun and goofing off.
Me: Is she [Tyra] really that melodramatic during eliminations, because Tyra could be a soap opera actress with all that extreme drama, for real.
Jaeda: Yeah! I feel the same way, she was VERY dramatic, but you know, it was all for the show.
Me: Overall, would you say that being on Top Model was a good experience for you?

Jaeda: Yeah, I would say that. Being on Top Model was one of the best experiences of my life, especially in terms of launching a career. I'm just really excited about the whole thing. It was really fun and a great experience.
Me: You guys had a lot of model challenges. Out of all the Top Model challenges and photos, which ones would you pick as your favorite? Why?
Jaeda: Well, my favorite photo was the runway photo. You know, it was scary at first, but it was so fun because you never knew if you were gonna fall off or not. And my favorite challenge would probably be the NASCAR challenge because of all the action shots. We had to jump on the NASCAR driver and go nuts! That was kinda fun actually.
Me: You guys got to work with Tasha Smith, the Acting Coach. How was that?
Jaeda: Oh yeah, wow, that was AMAZING! She was a spunky woman, and it kinda rubbed off on us so we were able to let loose and really get into what we were supposed to do.
Me: During the “dump” acting exercise, you kind of revealed some things; you said you didn’t ‘feel’ great, that you didn’t ‘feel’ like a “girl” and that you didn’t ‘feel’ sexy because of your short hair. You wanna explain that a bit more?
Jaeda: Yeah, it was really hard for me because I always try to be the "girly girl" that's just me, you know? Then once my hair was cut off, it made me feel less of a woman for some reason, and I don't quite understand that till this day, because now, I feel like the short hair actually made me look more like a woman and less like a girl. I guess it was just hard to get used to at the time because it was kind of shocking and sudden for me... I couldn't really ease into it you know? At the time, I didn't really feel like a "girl". It was kind of weird.

Me: So do you think it was worth it, cutting your hair so short?
Jaeda: Oh, I definitely think it was worth it, I'd actually do it all over again if I could!
Me: You would!? Wow. So are you gonna grow it back or not?
Jaeda: Actually, I'm keeping it short, I'm thinking about keeping it short, I actually kind of like it now!
Me: That's surprising. Ok, on to SPAIN! You got to go to Barcelona! (Jaeda: Yeah..) Ok, for this next question, let’s pretend that everything was rosy and beautiful on this Barcelona trip, let’s pretend that this “Nacho” (the spanish male model) character was a “NON-ISSUE”, because really, he doesn’t even exist in my world, (Jaeda laughs) but we’ll get to that later… How beautiful was Barcelona, Spain? Like paint a picture for me, make me want to visit there even more than I already do!
Jaeda: OH MY GOSH! It was absolutely BREATHTAKING! I had never been overseas, so this was the 1st time for me, and I was just like omigosh! The city was beautiful!
Me: I could imagine, because I would LOVE to visit there. Ok, now, let's talk about "the guy" (Jaeda: Ugh!). Since this Spanish model guy is kind of the “elephant in the center of the room” let’s discuss him and get it over and done with, shall we? The fact that he said what he said to you, (what was it exactly) “I don’t like you, I don’t like Black girls” that was UNBELIEVABLE.

Jaeda: Well he said he didn't like me, then he said it was because I was BLACK, he told me he just doesn't really like Black girls. And so after he said that, I was like, "OK" but I still wanted to learn the lines and everything but he didn't seem like he wanted to participate. He even ended up LEAVING THE TABLE for about 20 minutes!
Me: Oh wow! They didn't even show that!
Jaeda: Yes! They did NOT show that, and I was just talking to Eugena and we were both like, they didn't even show that!
Me: So do you think that the fact that he was such a butt-hole (can I say that?) affect your overall performance in the 'Secret Commercial shoot?

Jaeda: Umm, I do think that it affected my overall performance, you know, I could deal with what he said, because I used to get criticized when I was younger, I'm used to it, but the thing that really made me upset is the fact that he wasn't willing to participate AT ALL. Like I didn't get a fair chance like all the other women did. They were all able to learn their lines regardless of whether their guys liked them or not, and I wasn't. So that kind of upset me. You can say anything you want to me, but at least do what you're supposed to do.
Me: Ok, about your elimination. You were probably in the bottom 2 the most out of all the girls this season, but you kept surviving it, so do you think that the judges could have given you one more chance knowing what they knew about your jerky modeling partner?

Jaeda: Well, I guess the judges could have done whatever they wanted, but I knew that it was a harsh reality, and it was a competition. Things happen, you know, and you can't do anything about it. I don't think that they were completely wrong for what they did, and I can accept that I had to go through that. There was nothing anyone could do about it really.
Me: Ok, so who would you like to see win this season of Top Model?
Jaeda: I would like to see Caridee win this season of Top Model just because, she's awesome, she's one of my good friends, I just think she's everything that the judges are looking for.
Me: Do you have any regrets in the competition, anything you wish you could go back and do differently? And what are your plans now that the show is over?

Jaeda:
If I could go back I would probably change my attitude about my hair and not let the little things bother me, and just be more focused on the competition. As far as my plans go, I finished school in May, and hopefully I'll start getting some offers, and I might be moving as well, so who knows what's gonna happen! I just want to keep all the doors open!
Me: You said on the show that you had a boyfriend and that you were missing him. Are you guys still together?

Jaeda: We are not currently together, no.
Me: Wow, your MALE FANS are gonna be happy to hear that! (Jaeda: laughs "yeah") Ok, now, on to my fun questions!
Jaeda: Ok!
Me:
Fall plaid, yes or no?

Jaeda: Fall plaid? Sure, I like plaid for Fall, I have a few little outfits!
Me: Walmart, or Target?
Jaeda: Walmart or Target hmmm. Target, I would have to say Target because they have a lot of high fashion clothing in there!
Me: Coffee or hot chocolate?
Jaeda: Umm, you know, coffee, because I need something with a little caffeine these days.
Me: Are you a Starbucks junkie?
Jaeda: I am!
Me: Are you! What's your favorite drink there?
Jaeda: I like the Caramel Macchiato.
Me: Oh ok, I like that one sometimes too. Ok, last question, who do you think is the cutest, Jay Manual or Nigel Barker?
Jaeda: NIGEL DEFINITELY! Oh my god! I could just eat him up and come back for seconds! For real!
Me: (laughing) Girl! You better stop! You are hilarious!
Well , that's all I have Jaeda, thanks so much for talking with me and I wish you much success in the future!
Jaeda: Thank you!

12 comments:

  1. Hey, that interview was great! You blowin' up!

    Gotta warn you that unless there's some hidden text in there with something about Mr. E. Relaxation, you're gonna be in big trouble. Watch your back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was and GREAT interview!!! Love the flow of conversation!!!

    Now, I'm not so mad with Jaeda. I have high respect for someone who recognizes their mistakes and learns from them... and I'm SO glad she's diggin her short hair, b/c it looked amazingly fierce on her!!!

    GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. applause!!!!!

    I loved it Chanel!!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. @nita. LOL She might just want to watch out now that she's "single".

    That was a great interview Chanel. I too am glad that she is sticking to the short hair. I think is very becoming on her...it works well with her bone structure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Chanel...AGAIN! :) You know what, I like Jaeda's vibe. Very positive, very ambitious, and seems to take the good with the bad. I likes that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice interview Chanel! I enjoyed that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! It sounds like she was alot of fun to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great interview. if i was her i'd have been upset about my hair too...they didn't style it well at ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw the Barcelona/Nacho episode for the second time. Now, I usually have a very good ear (I am a musician, after all); but it's also true that the words were somewhat muffled and the entire segment was edited (obviously). But neither the Nacho say he didn't like "black girls". I did hear him say "I don't like you" - twice. But there was no mention of "black women".

    If he said it, and seeing that it became such an issue in the show, they SHOULD have shown that. Because, you know, accusing someone of racism - when the person just doesn't like a particular individual - isn't exactly fair play, either.

    Anyway, I hope Jaeda goes far. She looks like a lovely woman. (And the short hair definitely shows off her features and fabulous bone structure.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Please, disregard the previous comment - some of the text is missing. Bad, bad me! :))


    I just saw the Barcelona/Nacho episode for the second time. Now, I usually have a very good ear (I am a musician, after all); but it's also true that the words were somewhat muffled and the entire segment was edited (obviously). But neither the first nor the second time did I hear Nacho say he didn't like "black girls". I did hear him say "I don't like you" - twice. But there was no mention of "black women".

    If he said it, and seeing that it became such an issue in the show, they SHOULD have shown that. Because, you know, accusing someone of racism - when the person just doesn't like a particular individual - isn't exactly fair play, either.

    Anyway, I hope Jaeda goes far. She looks like a lovely woman. (And the short hair definitely shows off her features and fabulous bone structure.)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails