October 17, 2006

Back from NYC!

Hey Ya'll! I'm back in this piece! And I just wanna say, I sooooooo appreciate all the well wishes on my birthday... everytime I read a new one, it made me smile, so XOXOXO to all ya'll who thought about me! We had a great time in New York! I've spent the last 4 out of 5 of my birthdays there and there's still so much we hadn't seen! Thursday night we attended the VIP Reception for the opening night of the Hip Hop Museum Exhibit in Harlem [shots out again to Mahogany Girl] Nice. This event had a real "old school" party type feel with the DJ spinning strictly throwback hip hop jams. There was an awesome display of vintage photos, and they even had original party flyers (handbills) on display from as far back as 1978! There were a few celebs on hand, (I ran into 'Nik' from "Top Model") and we saw Doug E. Fresh's name on the list! We didn't stay real long, but we took some pics below...













We traveled mostly by train and we must have walked another 211,000 miles while we were there (we walked A LOT). I had specific things on my list of things to see and do, and we did just about all of them...

My List:
1. Visit Mood Fabric in New York's Fashion/Garment District where the Project Runway Designers bought all their fabric for the show. This place was on 37th and it was also on the 2nd floor of a building, wasn't expecting that one... but it was a true sewer's eutopia...
2. Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) on 5th Ave. The view from the rooftop of the Met on a clear day was truly something to see. There was also a Hurricane Katrina Exhibit there that we didn't know about, so being from Louisiana, we HAD to see that.
3. Visit Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) on 53rd St. This place would make for a nice intellectual "date night" and we got in FREE! Target sponsors tickets there on Fridays between 4-8 pm (free Target Fridays)... we had fun there...
4. Visit Madame Tussaud's in Time Square (42nd St.) I took a pic with Princess Diana (loved her) Prince, George Clooney & Shakira...
5. Find Magnolia Bakery in the West Village on Bleecker (famous for their cupcakes and seen on Sex and the City and SNL) You can literally smell them as you approach the bakery... when we got there the line was wrapped AROUND THE BUILDING. For cupcakes!
6. Eat at Mr. Chow on my birthday (on 57th)
7. Hit up some local spots! Visited Carol's Daughter in Harlem on 125th St. [Thanks Nichelle!] bought the Healthy Hair Butter. Love it. My hair loves it. This stuff is completely yum. Also visited Pieces (of Harlem), a cute little clothing boutique on 135th [Thanks random chick from the Hip Hop Exhibit] bought a cool little tee there...
8. Pop into H&M, this is a MUST for me everytime I'm there (checked out 2 H&M's on 59th and Lexington and 51st and 5th, both were down the street from our hotel as we stayed at 51st and Lex. Bought 2 cute cotton tops from there).
9. Katz Deli (on Houston) This one my husband put on the list, but I must say, they absolutely know what to do do with a Philly Cheese Steak. I could eat another one right now.
10. Central Park. We walked past the "sheep meadow" and there was a "My Dog Loves Central Park" Fair going on the day we were there. Such a lovely scene, Central Park, its a beautiful oasis (and its massive!) in the midst of so much concrete. Wonderful...


Pic we took in Central Park
All in all, we had a ball!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun times! I would love to go shopping at Mood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Treasure it! I felt like I was almost there while reading your blog! That's about as close as I'll get for a while ;-)...Wow, you saw Nik, I love her!
    Glad you had so much fun! Need help scrapbookin, call me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're living it up! Good to see you enjoyed yourself, sounds like a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so jealous, lol. glad you enjoyed yourself and happy belated b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back and hapy belated B-Day! Sounds like you had my dream vacay right about now! I am way too jealous to even continue! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's good to hear. Thank you for the pic's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a good time.

    Thanks for the pics!

    MG

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails