August 30, 2006

CHANEL I Like...

I was never really a huge fan of the iconic fashion institution that is CHANEL. And yes, that is my name and all (my mother was a fan of No. 5) but it was just never my "go to" style choice. I love the handbags, sunglasses and the fragrances, I have a bottle of Chance and Mademoiselle in my collection right now. I had just always thought of the CHANEL clothing brand to be a bit "stuffy" and more suited to much older women, who wore pantyhose, and "lunched" with friends, and carried little dogs with poufy ears and tails. And that is sooo not me, I'm more bohemian chic with a downtown urban twist. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised to see this ad for CHANEL in my September issue of Elle Magazine. When I flipped the page, I was like, Wow, I'd TOTALLY wear that whole outfit! I actually thought the whole ensemble was styled together quite nicely. Seeing this ad made me want to actually check CHANEL out more. Maybe my image of CHANEL was ancient. Maybe CHANEL had evolved into a brand I might actually care about, and yes, even WEAR. Am I getting older, or is CHANEL targeting a younger market? I was intrigued. I would love to LOVE the fashion brand whose name I carry. Now, after seeing this ad, I think I might be on my way to having a brand new "go to" style choice. Because the CHANEL in that ad, is finally, CHANEL I like.

5 comments:

  1. YES...I think Chanel is targeting a younger market. Let's face it. If 50 is the new 40 and 40 is the new 30, then Chanel's traditional demographic is shrinking fast. They need to woo us 30 somethings now!

    I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more stuffy haute couture brands go hip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl Lagerfeld is like an evil genius! I love the new look of Chanel. But like you, I remember the days of old ladies that lunch... boxy, woven, collarless jackets... yuck! Things have really changed (for the good)! I felt the same way about Ferragamo. I remember my grandmother wearing those shoes in almost every color. It took me a while to be able to look those with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know... this is like fashionista sacrilege, but.... I've never liked Chanel no. 5. (Chance is the stuff, though!) But number 5 makes me think of old ladies and mothballs. I own 2 bottles (gifts from people taking stabs in the dark) and never wear it. Coco might have been revolutionary in her time, but this one... maybe not so much.

    Is that Britney Gastineau?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post, it's wonderful! I love Chanel designer clothes, I think they are the best.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails