August 29, 2006

1 Year Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina...

It was one year ago today that Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Region here. Now I know I run a style and entertainment blog, but I am also a lifelong Louisiana resident, so this anniversary hits pretty close to home for me. Katrina was a devastating disaster for so many people.  Some people lost everything.  That's something that I can't even begin to wrap my mind around.  We weren't directly affected as we live an hour outside of New Orleans and a couple hours away from the Biloxi, Gulfport Mississippi regions, but we were still affected nonetheless. Because Baton Rouge (the capital of Louisiana where I live) was so close to the more devastated areas, we, as a city, experienced a population swell of 100,000 to 125,000 people in the span of 2 days. The cities infrastructure almost cracked from the total influx of people.  In my household, we also experienced a "population swell" of 8 family members (bringing the total in our household to 10 people) who lost homes in the 9th Ward, New Orleans East and Gentilly areas. We literally had a family in each bedroom. Looking back on everything, it was truly a blessing to have had the space to invite people in.  To offer refuge at a time when people needed it most. Our family members stayed with us literally up until a couple months ago, and their rebuilding process, like so many other New Orleans residents who are returning, is still ongoing.

I think its just important to not forget the events of a year ago that devastated so many. It's sad when I think about it sometimes, but New Orleans won't ever be the way it was, and in some ways, that's a good thing, but in others... not so much. New Orleans is such a rich, historic and cultural city.  The architecture, the food, and the people are all a part of the fabric that make New Orleans, New Orleans.  From the musicians outside of the Cafe du Monde, to the breakdancers in Jackson Square, to the neighborhood lady who sold pecan pralines, a lot of people would argue that it was not the architecture and the food, but the actual people that made the city so great.  But out of those things, most of the people, the actual residents that colored the city, won't be returning, and that is truly one of the saddest commentaries of this disaster. But the Gulf Region will still re-emerge. New Orleans will still re-emerge. So that's all I have to say about it. I hope ya'll don't mind me "turning the channel" for a minute. I just wanted to take a moment to remember...

1 comment:

  1. I hope ya'll don't mind me "turning the channel" for a minute. I just wanted to take a moment to remember...

    -I don't mind at all. Reflection is part of the healing process. I think that all of us either were or know someone who was greatly effected by this disaster. We all need to take a moment to remember...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails