July 25, 2006

Style Verdict - Skinny Jeans

Skinny Jeans. I DID NOT like this trend when I first laid eyes on it. Didn't like it AT ALL. But fashion is so funny and so fickle that sometimes if you stare at something long enough, you'll convince yourself that it's cute, and that you HAVE to HAVE said 'something', and then before you know it, you are completely STALKING a pair... but I digress...

I actually kind of like them now. Have not yet tried on a pair, so my personal verdict is incomplete until I do so. But I also think they are logical. What better pair of jeans to tuck into skinny boots than skinny jeans? Boot cut wouldn't work, as they are cut to wear OVER your boots. I think what turned me off at first sighting of the skinny jean trend was the fact that it is supposedly a narrower fit from waist to hip to thigh all the way down to your ankles, and the only people I saw wearing them were celebrities, and they were wearing them with hi-heeled pumps and sandals. I just couldn't see it. I hadn't seen any "real world" example of anyone wearing a pair, and until recently, I just could not wrap my mind around the look.

But now, after letting it marinate in my mind, when I see it dressed up with a heel, sleek and sophisticated, (like in the photo to the right, Rebecca Romijn does the look justice) I allow myself to think that I might look hot in a pair, so I don't close the door on it completely.

But I want to know what YOU think. Do you like it? Hate it? Don't care? Would YOU wear it? I wanna know YOUR style verdict.

Feel like browsing for a pair? Click on stores below to window shop, The Gap says you don't have to be stick thin to pull off the look:
The Gap
Shop Bop click on "go" in the orange bar at the top of the page
The Levi's Store

10 comments:

  1. I am totally on the same boat as you. They grew on me. And now that there are so many times of skinny jeans, you can find the one most appropriate for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like these jeans will show each and every imperfection (or perfection) you may have from waist to ankles... i.e. love handles, funny rear, knock-knees... anyway, you have to be totally comfy in your body, and find the look that works the best for you. My verdict - hung jury... it's a look that's easy to mess up and hard to perfect....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way with skinny jeans but I came to like them very quickly. I love my J Brands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have noticed that the skinny jeans have been pretty popular in Cali for a while... I know some people out there who tried to convince me to wear them a year or two ago, and I just didn't like it. I guess it's all about how it's presented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think this one should have been left in the 80s where it belongs. i just can't get on board with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way it looks in theory but I doubt I would wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of them, and think they look so cute in pictures of celebs. But I just think that all you'd be able to see if I got a pair would be hips, hips, hips!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved skinny jeans from the moment I saw them in the fashion magazines. I instantly set out to buy a pair when I discovered that nearly every pair I tried on didn't fit me. Some made my ass look huge, while others wouldn't even move a budge past my thighs. I looked everywhere for a pair. I was convinced that maybe skinny jeans just weren't for me when I tried on a pair in Express, and Voila! The jeans hugged my every curve and made my butt look perky rather than disgustingly huge. There's a skinny jean out there for everyone, you just have to shop around. I find that with my skinny jeans, I nead to wear a flowy, or longer shirt to conceal my thighs so that my proportions don't look distorted. Skinny jeans look good with a pair of pumps because they create the illusion of longer legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm not skinny, in fact i'm very very overweight, so i've reluctantly avoided the skinny jean trend. i'm sure it's on the cusp of being out of trend now, so i felt comfortable trying on a pair today, because it wouldn't look like i was trying to hard to fit in. and was i surprised that they looked terrific on me! i realized, that for me at least,they're called skinny jeans b/c they make me look long and thin, well thinner. i don't look like i hopped on a trendwagon; i look like i found a pair of well-fitting jeans that compliment my figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a man, and sometimes I wear "skinny" flared leg strech jeans (bought in the juniors dept!). I usually wear jeans not quite so tight, but well fitted. Some people think/say my jeans are too tight, but they feel real sexy and comfortable. If you can't find the skinny jeans you'd like, then let me recommend "makeyourownjeans.com", where you can tell them EXACTLY how you want your $50 jeans to fit !! Stretch,no stretch, lo-rise, etc. They've been on Oprah and elsewhere. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails